Its becoming a trend for hard core Android fans to feel at ease only after their device has been rooted along with a custom recovery flashed and if you’re looking for a way to customize your LG Optimus One to take it a little further than what its stock options offer, we are going to show you how to root your device and flash ClockworkMod recovery to it.
Rooting and flashing a custom recovery to any Android device is like the opening of the big gate of customization and squeezing every little drop from what your hardware has to offer. Here’s how to get started with customizing your LG Optimus One by rooting it and installing ClockworkMod recovery to it. If you don’t know what purpose this will serve or just want to know more about rooting and custom recoveries in detail, see our top 10 reasons to root your Android device as well as what is ClockworkMod recovery and how to use it.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the process.
- ADB installed. (See what is ADB and how to install it)
- Z4Root Application
- ClockWorkMod Recovery Image
- Download Z4Root from the above mentioned link and transfer it to your SD card.
- Open any application manager with the ability to install apps from APK files (e.g. Astro File Manager) and use it to install the Z4Root app from the APK.
- Launch the Z4Root app and tap ‘Permanent Root’. The screen should go white for around 30 seconds, after which the phone will reboot.
- Your device should be rooted now. Go to the App drawer and click on the z4root icon again to confirm. The application should now say ‘Re-root’ or ‘Un-root’.
- Now that your phone is rooted, download the ClockworkMod Recovery image from above and extract its contents to the root of your SD card (not in any sub-folder).
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone from Settings > Applications > Development and connect it to your computer via USB. Launch a Command Prompt / Terminal window on your computer and enter the following commands:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img reboot recovery