Its been a few days since LG Optimus V came to Virgin Mobile and it has already been rooted. This guide explains the steps required for rooting the LG Optimus V phone, thus allowing you install apps (requiring root access) and custom ROMs. All thanks goes to XDA Developer forum member sublimewulf. The LG Optimus V comes with Google Android 2.2 Froyo. If you want to install custom ROMs, then you will need root access for installation.
LG is a late entrant in the Google Android community, as LG had earlier delayed the launch of their first Google Android mobile phone. LG Optimus V has been launched through Verizon, Sprint, T-mobile, US Cellular and MetroPCS. Using this guide you will be able to root the Optimus V and then have the option of installing Custom ROMs and apps requiring root access. Rooting your phone does not remove the Virgin Mobile’s boot animation since the hack is based on the LG Optimus S ROM.
Disclaimer: Please follow this guide at your own risk. AddictiveTips will not be liable if your device gets damaged or bricked during the processInstructions:
Update: Instructions have been updated as per the source on XDA-Developers. Also a new file has been added and a few old ones removed.
- First download the files given at the bottom of the post to continue.
- Extract Virgin drivers zip file that you just downloaded to a folder on your desktop. Click on the installation file to install the Optimus drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device by going to settings, then application and then development and tap on the enable usb debugging.
- Unzip the file SuperOneClick in the same folder and run it. After this step click shell root.
- Now extract the flashimage.zip and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img.zip to the root folder of your SD card.
- Now copy
the files LEGO-ROM.zip and theme_gingerbread.zipStock Rooted and Optimized.zip to the root of your SD card but do not extract these files.
- Now open the command shell on your PC and navigate to the folder
where you have installed the Optimus drivers and type the following
commands at the command prompt:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img reboot recovery
- Your phone will now boot into the custom recovery mode.
- In the custom recovery mode, using the volume rocker for navigation, select Backup using the Home key and click Backup NAND.
- When that is finished, click back until you are at the main menu again.
- Now click on Flash zip from SD card and flash the previously copied
LEGO-ROM.zip and afterwards theme_gingerbread.zipStock Rooted and Optimized.zip.
- Again using the back key, return to the main menu and navigate to Wipe. Click on Wipe data/factory reset.
- Now again navigate to the main menu and select reboot and enjoy.
Stock Rooted and Optmized.zip (New)