Originally, the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 officially ran Android 2.3 Gingerbread. With the help of independent developers, custom ROMs were made to give the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich’s sweetness to the mobile phone. Also through custom ROMs, the Galaxy Ace is able run the latest chewy treat, Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
XDA Developers member Maclaw was able to build a CyanogenMod 10 custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830. Flashing this ROM will let you enjoy Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your mobile phone. The ROM is currently being developed. According to the dev, the latest build (beta 1) still has issues with the camera and the proximity sensor.
If these bugs are not an issue, read on to learn how to upgrade the Galaxy Ace S5830 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Ace, model number GT-S5830. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean ROM (cm_ace-ota-eng.maclaw.beta1.zip , 133.94 MB).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CyanogenMod 10 ROM file to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your mobile phone
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Home button (middle key) and Power button until recovery boots.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM in case something goes wrong with the installation process. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until recovery finishes the backup process.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cacheand confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD cardand select the CM10 ROM ZIP file.Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone. Wait until the flashing procedures completes
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system nowto restart your phone.