- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
- Your mobile phone’s USB cable
- A Windows PC
- Download the Samsung GS3 Toolkit (SGS3 ToolKit v2.0.exe, 56.72 MB).
- Make sure your phone’s battery is charged to 75% or more.
- Close all system tools such as antivirus software, firewall programs, and Samsung Kies to avoid interruptions throughout the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Installing the Toolkit
- Double-click on the SGS3 ToolKit v2.0.exe file on your computer to start the installation of the Toolkit.
- On the following screens, keep clicking on the Next button until the installation starts. Don’t alter anything in the setup, including installation paths. Keep everything as is.
- After completing the installation, click on the Close button to launch the Toolkit. You can also choose to launch it through clicking the Samsung GS3 Toolkit v1.0 shortcut icon on your Desktop.
Installing Galaxy S3 DriversInstalling your phone’s drivers on your PC should be the first thing you need to do after installing the toolkit.
- Turn on your phone and make sure it is not connected to the computer.
- Click the Samsung GS3 ToolKit icon on your Desktop to launch on your computer.
- Select Option 1 and press Enter to install the Samsung USB drivers to your computer.
- Connect the phone to the PC through the USB cable. The PC should be able to detect your phone and install the correct drivers.
- NOTE: If you want to ensure that the USB drivers have been installed, go to your PC’s Control Panel and open Device Manager. With your phone connected to the computer, you should be able to see “Samsung Android Phone” listed as one of the devices and with a driver attached to it.
Using the Toolkit
- Turn on your phone.
- Plug your phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Click on the Samsung GS3 Toolkit v2.0 shortcut icon on your desktop.
- Once you enter the main menu, “ADB Mode” can be seen at the top left. If you see your phone’s serial number under the ADB Mode line, then you have installed the drivers correctly. With this, your phone is connected and you can start using the functions of the Toolkit.
- Type the number of the desired function and press Enter.
Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery and root in one goOnce you’ve successfully installed the Toolkit and the phone drivers, you can use the Toolkit to flash custom recovery (ClockworkMod Recovery) to your phone and root the phone–all in one breath.
- Disconnect your phone from the PC.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone. You can do this in Settings > Developer options.
- Launch Samsung GS3 Toolkit on your computer.
- On the toolkit’s main menu window, type the option number for “Rooting Options” (in version 2.0, this is option number 2) and press the Enter key.
- You will see some info about your rooting options:
- Flash insecure boot image and root phone
- Flash insecure boot image, root, plus install Busybox
- All-in-one (Flash insecure boot image, ClockworkMod Recovery, root, and install Busybox)
- Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then root via ClockworkMod
- Choose the option number of your choice and press the Enter key. We recommend either the “All-in-one” option or the ClockworkMod option (last option, i.e., option 4 in version 2.0 of the toolkit).
- Follow the prompts and instructions that appear.