The methods and procedures discussed here are considered risky and you should not attempt anything if you don’t know completely what it is. If any damage occurs to your device, we won’t be held liable.
How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery 6 on Galaxy S3
- Download and install the software Kies on your computer, which will install the necessary drivers for the phone.
You can also download the drivers directly — download from here: 32 bit (x86) Windows | 64-bit (x64) Windows
- Download the CWM recovery file.
Download Link | Filename: recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-i9300.tar
the Odin PC. If you are new to this, Odin is what is used to flash
stuff – firmware, kernels, etc. – on Samsung phones. We’ll use Odin to
flash the recovery file obtained in step 2.
Download Odin3 v3.04 | Filename: Odin3_v3.04.zip
- Extract the contents of the Odin3_v3.04.zip file to a folder on your computer.
- Now, turn off your Galaxy S3 and wait for it to shut down completely.
- Then, put the phone into download mode. To do so, press and hold these keys together: Volume Down + Home + Power till the screen turns on. Then press Volume Up to enter download mode.
- Open Odin by double-clicking on the Odin3 v3.04.exe file obtained in step 6 after extracting Odin3_v3.04.zip.
- Important! Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message “Added !!” under Odin’s message box in the bottom left.
If you don’t get this message, make sure you installed drivers correctly (using Kies or directly) as given in step 1. If it still doesn’t work, try changing to another USB port on the computer and also use the USB ports on the back if you have a desktop PC.
- Click on the PDA button in Odin, then browse to and select the recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-i9300.tar file obtained in step 2 above. Do not make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required files as given in step 11. Leave all other options as they are. Make sure Re-Partition check box is not selected.
click the Start button to start flashing the recovery on your
phone. When the flashing is complete and is successful, you’ll get a PASS message
(with green background) in the left-most box at the very top of the
Odin, and the phone will automatically reboot. When you see the Samsung
logo, you can safely unplug the cable.
What do if Odin gets stuck or doesn’t do anything: If ODIN gets stuck on setup connection or at any stage of this process after you’ve hit the Start button, and doesn’t seem to be doing anything, or if upon completion of the process you get a FAIL message (with red background) in ODIN, do this: disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery for 4-5 seconds, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 7.
- After the phone reboots, to try out ClockworkMod 6.0, turn off the device. Then, press and hold Home + Volume Up + Power keys together for about 5 seconds, then let them go to boot into CWM recovery 6.0, in which you can use your touchscreen as well as the volume keys and home/power buttons to select options.